[opensuse-factory] [RFC] autofs5
  • From: Matthias Koenig <mkoenig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:49:00 +0100
Hi,

I would like to update to autofs5.
autofs5 is a major rewrite of autofs4 and while there might still
be some problems I hope it is stable enough. Fedora is already shipping
this. We really should have it in Code 11, so I want this to be tested
in openSUSE 10.3.
Most of the new features enhance the functionality to be more compliant
with industry standard.
For testing purposes I already provide packages for factory and 10.2
in the buildservice:
http://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Amakoenig

Here is a list of changes:

Differences v4 vs. v5
---------------------
- Master map is now read and parsed by the `automount' daemon
- The master map default is "auto.master" and nsswitch is used to
locate it. The line "+auto.master" has been added to the default
installed "/etc/auto.master" to ensure that those using NIS will
still find their master map. This is in line with other industry
automount implementations.
- The `automount' daemon is now a multi-threaded application
- `autofs' filesystem mounts only appear in /proc/mounts and not
/etc/mtab.
- `autofs' version 5.0.0 will refuse to run if it cannot find an
autofs4 kernel module that supports protocol version 5.00 or above.
- mount options present in the master map are now overridden by mount
options in map entries instead of being accumulated. This behaviour
is in line with other industry automount implementations.

New features in v5
- improved direct mount map support
- `+' map inclusion
- added nsswitch map source support
- rewrote multi-mount map code
- added LDAP encryption and authentication support
- improved shutdown and restart
- a "hosts" map module has been added

Before going to factory, any comments on this update?

Matthias