Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:04:27 +0100
JP Rosevear wrote:
> 1) Detecting a local USB printer when plugged into the machine and
> prompting the user to configure it or automatically selecting a driver
> and configuring the printer
> [...]
> 2) Not needing root to configure a printer

Why do printers need a special case? It's just some piece of
hardware that can be plugged in at run time. Ideally there is a
(default) driver so it's possible to configure the hardware
automatically in the background and the user won't notice. If you
need any interactive input (ie YaST) to configure a device you need
to authenticate[1] as root. That barrier does not only avoid
accidential privilege escalation, it also prevents users from
thoughtlessly doing something that can harm the system. You need to
authenticate only if you plug in the hardware the first time
anyways. One likely does not plug in a different printer, scanner,
tv card etc every day.

> 3) Detecting when a printer is connected/disconnected and offering
> visual feedback via a notification area icon, or some other ui feedback

There should be no special case for printers. You want that for any
hardware. Like e.g. a well known popuplar OS tells you "the XYZ
device is ready to use now" (or whatever the exact wording is). In
case of a printers I'd expect tools like kprinter to already
visually indicate if a queue is disabled which is unrelated to
whether the hardware is actually available.

> 4) Ability to remove printers from cups (even shared printers) when
> they're unplugged to prevent jobs from accumulating in the queue or being default

I think it's a valid use case to queue a printjob and have it
printed when the printer is connected again.

cu
Ludwig

[1] Some like the idea of typing their own password instead of the root
password for that purpose.

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel
//\ SUSE Labs