Re: [opensuse-factory] meeting minutes of last dist meeting
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 02:07:24 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2007-02-28 at 02:35 -0000, Sid Boyce wrote:

> > I have twenty. I do it for many reasons; one is damage containment.
> >
> Yes, But! Hardware will always get you. Every disaster I have had has been
> down to IDE controllers (twice) or something else on the motherboards (once)
> trashing ALL the disk, at least on 3 occasions so far. Even Sun got rid of the
> practice. I've seen symlinks like they were going out of style when a
> partition ran out of space, on both Solaris and Linux. IBM did something
> clever on RS6000, with smit, you could extend a partition on the fly if it
> needed more space.

I had very recently a hard disk crash, caused, I think, by a damaged ide
(80 pin) cable. I lost the "/home" partition, and two weeks later I lost
the "/" partition (repaired with lots of files lost, unbootable), and had
some other partition damaged which repaired fully, after working at it for
two days.

Most of my problems with filesystems have damaged a partition at most.
And, except on this occasion, all were caused by software.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.