Re: [opensuse-factory] improve boot time
  • From: "M9." <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:46:31 +0100

Andreas schreef:
> Le Samstag, 24. Februar 2007, M9. a écrit :
>> Using a configfile instead of hardware detection might result in a much
>> shorter boottime...(20-25 secs?)
>> Hardwaredetection is needed before installing an OS, an option to detect
>> 'new' HW can be added, so comparing the configfile after the os has been
>> booted is not such a bad idea.
>
> Agreed. The way I try to eliminate long boot up times is to actually not power
> down my computer when I'm done. I have set it to go into stand-by after four
> hours of inactivity, and that works quite well, even with a desktop pc.

Yes this is true, if one uses one OS.
When using several, one has to reboot into other OS's, unless one uses
an emulator as VMware, one boots inside another OS...
Still, these bootings take time...
Not waiting, but using your time economicly, during these fases, makes
them seem to take less time.
But i agree this is just a psychological illusion, and no realtime
shorter boottime....but it works all the same...

- --

Have a nice day,

M9. Now, is the only time that exists.

OS: Linux 2.6.18.2-34-default x86_64