[opensuse-factory] Making the basesystem smaller
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:39:00 +0100

I heard from several sides that the base system of openSUSE 10.2 is a
bit large - and agree and would like to discuss with you what we can
do.

I thought about the following:
* make the existing base system pattern really minimal
* add another conveninience pattern that has all the extra stuff we
currently have in the base system - and require this for all other
patterns.

For a really minimal base system we have to define what we need first.

Here's a proposal for a "Definition Base System":
Multiuser system with:
* Local login (via /etc/passwd)
* network setup via ethernet
* default filesystems used (ext3) directly (without evms, lvm,
mdraid etc)
* no services running by default

My questions for discussion are especially the following:

* What do you think of this? Do you have better ideas?

* Is the "base system definition" ok? What's missing - or is it still
too much or should made clearer?

* How do I name the new pattern with all the extra stuff?

Note this is in some ways a followup to bug #228815,

Andreas