Re: [opensuse-factory] discussion about re-naming library packages such as "slang" to "libslang"
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:45:26 +0100
Alexey Eremenko schrieb:
> There is a package needed mainly for midnight commander called "slang"
> - as far as I understand it is a text-display library similar to
> ncurses. Because this is library, maybe it would be smart to rename it
> to "libslang", so that it will be easier to manipulate such lib*
> packages?

The current policy is that the RPM package names should be identical to
the basename of the upstream tarball unless there is a technical reason
why it cannot be named this way.

Reference: http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Spc

> What about other similar packages ? (like zlib / libz)

I'm _strongly_ against renaming existing packages for reasons other than
a technical problem which requires the package to be renamed.

This is a major annoyance for users, causes upgrade problems and
inconvencies in all areas. Just imagine you were a support provider
(e.g. user forums, IRC), you would have to give different answers for
different SUSE versions.

In the "RPM world" (i.e. Fedora, SUSE), the common rule is what we
currently have.

Andreas