Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 01:43:48 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2006-11-06 at 08:49 +0100, jdd wrote:

> Carlos E. R. a écrit :
>
> > If I understand the script correctly, all partition types are checked at
> > boot, even reiserfs. It's just that it runs so fast you don't notice.
>
> nope. reiser check only the journal, as etx3 do also probably each start

If you check the "/etc/init.d/boot.rootfsck" script, it does a fsck run
regardless of partition type (and if I'm not mistaken on every boot). It's
up to fsck to decide what to do then.

And, when the system was not properly closed, it runs fsck -f, for
"force".

> > Furthermore, there is a type of corruption in reiserfs that goes undetected
> > during that check, that needs and external fsck run. It causes denied
> > permission on files even for root.
>
> any file system can have such problem if a failure happen at the bad moment.

Yes, but the difference for reiserfs is that the fast test during boot does
not notice any problem, and there is.

> but it should be easy to have a big red windows saying "warning, at the next
> reboot a complete chas to be done and can be long" so one can make a boot
> dedicated to this task

I don't know how easy is it to know... each partition may have a different
day for the check run. Don't you have to access the partition internal
structures to know when the next "deep" check has to be done?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
< Previous Next >