Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 06:59:20 -0800
JDD,

On Sunday 05 November 2006 23:49, jdd wrote:
> Carlos E. R. a écrit :
> >> Why is it deemed necessary to force a run of e3fsck at boot? It's
> >> a journalling fs, it's expected to cope.
>
> good question.

The journal is just a redundant log of operations performed on the file
system. It takes an fsck to verify the file system's integrity and
replay the journal entries needed to repair any damage found.

As an aside, for reasons I don't understand, my 10.2 box sometimes has
journal entries to replay upon restart (sometimes quite a few of them)
even when it did not crash. I don't know if that's a sign of a problem
or normal for Reiser file systems.

> jdd

Randall Schulz