Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 23:19:06 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2006-11-03 at 22:59 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> With reiserfs, at boot only the journal gets replayed (automatically
> when mounting). A complete reiserfsck takes a lot longer too. Nobody
> deemed it necessary to run a reiserfsck at boot.
>
> Why is it deemed necessary to force a run of e3fsck at boot? It's a
> journalling fs, it's expected to cope.

If I understand the script correctly, all partition types are checked at
boot, even reiserfs. It's just that it runs so fast you don't notice.

Furthermore, there is a type of corruption in reiserfs that goes
undetected during that check, that needs and external fsck run. It causes
denied permission on files even for root.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.