Re: [opensuse-factory] tiny-nvidia-installer removed from factory
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:17:53 +0100
Torsdag 02 november 2006 10:33 skrev Stefan Dirsch:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 08:55:22AM -0000, B.Weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I suspect it's unlikely packman would want to host these as they're dodgy
> > both legally and morally. Only nvidia should have to take the risk.
> > (Although no-one seems to have sued Debian and canonical yet)
>
> Hmm. Sure that Debian/Ubuntu provides prebuilt NVIDIA packages?

I'm pretty sure packages exist for Ubuntu, although they might be 3rd party.
I'm absolutely sure FC have them via the 3rd party ilvna repo:
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/i386/

The idea of Packman hosting the packages was presented before. I believe their
hesitation was not so much fear of GPL violation. More a matter of (1)
redistribution rights for Nvidia/ATi and (2) building the packages in the
first place, iirc.

I think the redistribution rights issue was cleared up, not sure about the
building issue.

Martin