Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST question
  • From: Andras Mantia <amantia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:36:18 +0200
On Thursday 02 November 2006 11:13, Andreas Hanke wrote:
> YaST downloads only a very small file in order to see if the
> repository changed. The rest is cached and only downloaded if
> necessary.

I saw that two files are downloaded:
filelists.xml.gz 1.5MB
primary.xml.gz 1.3MB

I wouldn't call them small. My connection is through wireless phone and
fluctuates between 5-30KB/s. If it goes with only 5KB/s, it can take
quite some time until it downloads the two files.

> If you have a feeling that Packman is processed slower, there are
> multiple explanations:
>
> - The Packman repo does indeed change relatively frequently, and the
> repodata have to be downloaded from scratch. Incremental downloads
> are not possible right now.

Yes, it might be, as now I see that the above files are not downloaded
anymore. So forget this reload question.

Some figures though (AMD64 3200+, 1GB memory, the above net connection,
I have the CD ISOs and Packman as configured repository and zmd not
running):
- Packman refresh on: startup of sw_single takes about 45 seconds, from
this one the first 25 shows no network activity, after that the
download and parsing dialogs appear
- Packman refresh off: no difference.
- Packman disabled: the first 25 seconds are there, but after that is is
about 10 seconds faster.

Not scientific meassurement, but I think this is still quite slow.
Andras