[opensuse-factory] Minutes dist meeting 2006-10-12
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:40:11 +0200

Here're the minutes from our discussion, thanks for the comments you
made. We added a last-minute topic as well,

Andreas

Building for i686
=================

Some comments on the situation:

* some cpus have uname of i686 but do not support for the full i686
instruction set used by the compiler if compiling for i686, e.g. VIA
Epia C3.

* SUSE Linux runs on smaller systems as well, e.g. VIA boxes, for set
top boxes and routers.

* For most applications compilation on i686 will not make a speed
difference for the user.

* We optimize for i686 but use i586 instructions, the discussion is
about using i686 instructions as well.

* We already supply a few packages, e.g. glibc, for both i586 and
i686.

* We could add more packages as both i586 and i686. This is a
question of size on ftp/media as well.

* One way would be to switch at run-time between different code paths
(one for i586, one for i686).

* We should evaluate to setup i686 as an additional target in the
build service for a couple of packages to rebuild with different
compile flags. AI: Buildservice team to evaluate.

We decided to stay as is for 32-bit x86 and use the i586 instruction
since we would loose otherwise support for some existing hardware.

Default compile flags: -O2 vs. -Os
==================================

We run SPECcpu2000 benchmarks on x86-64 to compare -Os and -O2. The
results are 1011 (-Os) and 1140 (-O2) for SPECint and for a subset of
SPECfp 1202 (-Os) vs. 1270 (-O2), so the speed difference is too high
to make this change.

Overall .text size of all benchmarks:
6038603 (-Os) vs 6816414 (-O2)

With filesize begin nearly exactly 1MB larger in both cases.

We'll stay with -O2.

Avahi and mDNSresponder

We plan to use avahi by default and will drop mDNSresponder for
openSUSE. Avahi has a mDNSresponder compatibility library so that no
changes should be needed.

We plan to concentrate on avahi since it has the better code.

AI: AJ: Evaluate whether to do for openSUSE 10.2 or 10.3.

Andreas
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany
  • No further messages