Re: [opensuse-factory] Making space for yast-gtk
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:13:54 +0200
Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Cruz schrieb:
> I understand that you guys don't go with Yast-GTK by default (the package
> selector should still be loved for a bit longer :)), but it would be nice if
> you did the needed arrangement to /sbin/yast2, so if people choose to install
> it and are using Gnome/XFCE, that frontend is used.

what do you think about adding a a possibility to override the
auto-guessed setting. Maybe a setting YAST2_PREFERRED_FRONTEND somewhere
in /etc/sysconfig with these values:

auto: Guess the best matching of the installed frontends for the current
environment, i.e. gtk for GNOME, qt for KDE and maybe fvwm2, ncurses if
there's no X server. This should be the default.

gtk: Use gtk if there's an X server even if KDE is running, fall back to
ncurses if there's no X server.

qt: Use qt if there's an X server even if GNOME is running, fall back to
ncurses if there's no X server.

ncurses: Use ncurses even if there's an X server running.

Possible use case: GNOME is slightly broken in Factory right now, I'm
using KDE therefore but still want to test yast2-gtk ;-)

Another question (slightly off topic, sorry): How and where do I report
bugs involving yast2-gtk? bugzilla.novell.com? Which information is
needed - just the usual /var/log/YaST2, something else? Whom do I assign
this to?

Andreas Hanke