Re: [opensuse-factory] What is Yast/ZEN doing with so much info?
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:05:36 +0200
Azerion schrieb:
> Seeing what YaST is doing, I was confused. It starts with downloading
> many .pat-files. For each platform! Not only i386/i586 but also x64 and pcc.
> I will never use those things I guess on an i586-system so why are the
> downloaded? I guess there is a good reason for cause the ZEN/YaST-stuff has
> been many times under the microscope. But could somebody explain it to me?

This cannot be a desired feature. I guess it's rather a "rough edge" or
maybe people are concentrating efforts on "real" functionality defects
right now.

Consider reporting this as a bug with severity "Enhancement" (there is
no functionality defect and the files are small, but anyway, downloading
these files is unnecessary => The package manager can be enhanced by not
downloading them).

> In the same category: Downloading all description translations. (or at least
> DU, CZ an EN). I guess YaST can recognize that I use Dutch and English
> packages only and it won't show me any German info so why is it downloaded?
> Otherwise, would be a very nice option :P

Yes.

packages.DU is not a translation file, it contains disk usage
information about the packages. YaST uses this in order to determine
whether a package is installable. The package size alone is not
sufficient for complex partitioning setups.

The other packages.XX files are translations. I don't know why all of
them are downloaded, but IIRC - correct me if I'm wrong - they were not
with the old yast2-packagemanager.

Andreas Hanke