Re: [opensuse-factory] 10.2 Alpha4 - my installation report
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:42:12 +0200
Robert Schiele schrieb:
> Does this happen with the current package?

Yes, installing kernel-debug on a Factory system where there was only
kernel-default installed renames the existing vmlinuz and initrd
symlinks to .previous and creates new ones pointing to kernel-debug,
effectively making kernel-debug the default.

The conclusion is that the kernel development pattern is not the right
thing for users who just need to build an external module.

> If so, I'd consider this a bug and
> you might want to file a bug report.

I won't file a bug report because I'm not sure that this is a real bug.
It makes sense, someone who installs kernel-debug most likely wants to
use it, and someone who doesn't want to use it should rather not install it.

Unfortunately, it renders the kernel development pattern a no-go for
just building external modules, and that in turn backs the point of
having kernel-source depend on gcc and make, so that users can install a
single package to get a complete kernel module build environment.

Andreas Hanke