Re: [opensuse-factory] Additions to help openSUSE system
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:44:00 +0200
> Above is the reason that I advertise Midnight Commander.
> http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander
> It is lesser to learn for file browsing, viewing and editing using mc
> than command line, and it fulfills most of demands for a simple
> troubleshooting system.
>
> The problem is that any of "first aid in case of trouble" articles are
> written by Linux experts. While they are competent in troubleshooting,
> they can't go in details needed for novice (see above). Expert answers
> must be translated to the common language, expanded with common Linux
> knowledge, by some intermediate person that is able to understand both
> sides. Better (more elaborated) help application than mc might help
> everybody in the help chain.

I write guides on a couple of forums where there are a lot of Windows users
swapping or thinking of swapping. I never mention "vi". As mc and mcedit are
included in a normal installation, I always talk about using those tools when
navigating or having to edit a configuration file.

Heck, I've been using Linux for over 5 years and I've never started vi...

--
David Wright
Wright Information Services Europa

"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing
made by men, and by God that's something we can change."
- The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck