Re: [opensuse-factory] Announcing Yast-GTK
  • From: "Steve Barnhart" <stb52988@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:18:16 -0400
But: Many users have serious problems with the software management, i.e.
the package management and especially the patch management. I'm _not_
talking about functionality bugs here, but really the user interface.

The users are trying and trying and trying to find out which patches are
already installed and which ones they need, and they fail. Many users
simply don't get it without external help - the existing Qt frontend is
too hard to use.

And now there is a new Gtk frontend that is, again, substantially
different. Documenting and supporting this will be very difficult! After
looking at the Gtk version of the online_update module for 3 minutes, I
am still unable to determine which patches I need - there is just a list
with ~100 unticked checkboxes.

Yes, one of my major complaints right now and with Zen which does
close to the same thing. One thing I did notice that seems to work is
by right click and selecting update all in this list or whatever
(atleast on the kde list) and it only checks (sometimes by 2-3 layers
deep!) only the updates which would of course mean it was installed.
I'm glad this is done though, hopefully it will be included in suse
10.2!

--
Steve