Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: new discussion on what kind of patterns we should have
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:31:07 +0200
* Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> [Aug 21. 2006 19:53]:

> Here's an idea that I've been toying with for a long time now: How about a
> SUSE-CORE that is really CORE? Something that contains only the bare
> essentials of the system, such as glibc, kernel and a few other things. A
> really barebones system.

I'd like to see patterns detailed as this.

However, 'barebones' might mean different things depending on the
purpose you aim at:

- a chroot environment; having a bash might be sufficient for 'barebones'
- a virtual image
- runlevel 1
- runlevel s

One might define patterns based on functionality provided by boot scripts
(resp. runlevels).

> Moving away from the monolithic distribution is my idea. I think it would
> improve maintainability a lot

I fully agree.

Klaus