Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: new discussion on what kind of patterns we should have
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:53:37 +0200
On Monday 21 August 2006 14:48, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> I added for now - and did this only for KDE, GNOME will come later - a
> generic KDE desktop pattern and a few sub patterns:
> * KDE-BASIS
> * KDE-Devel
> * KDE-Edutainment
> * KDE-Games
> * KDE-Help
> * KDE-IMAGE
> * KDE-Internet
> * KDE-Multimedia
> * KDE-Office
> * KDE-System
> * KDE-Utilities

Here's an idea that I've been toying with for a long time now: How about a
SUSE-CORE that is really CORE? Something that contains only the bare
essentials of the system, such as glibc, kernel and a few other things. A
really barebones system.

On top of this you have add-on products on separate media, such as "KDE
Desktop", "Gnome Desktop", "development tools", "mail server", "gaming
system" and so on. In each, the relevant configuration utilities, yast
modules etc are included, so you only see on your system what you have
installed

This would have two benefits: with a core system that is really core, it would
be far easier to maintain separate from everything else. The "subsystems"
could also be developed, tested and maintained separately, so you could have
a two year release cycle of core, and a 1 year release cycle of KDE Desktop
(for example).

The second benefit would be that it would be much easier for third party
companies to create offerings that go in as an add-on on top of SUSE-CORE.
Far fewer combinations to test,

Moving away from the monolithic distribution is my idea. I think it would
improve maintainability a lot