Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: new discussion on what kind of patterns we should have
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:11:24 +0200
Marcel Hilzinger <mhilzinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Am Montag, 21. August 2006 14:48 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
>> Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> > Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> [...]
>> I added for now - and did this only for KDE, GNOME will come later - a
>> generic KDE desktop pattern and a few sub patterns:
>> * KDE-BASIS
>> * KDE-Devel
>> * KDE-Edutainment
>> * KDE-Games
>> * KDE-Help
>> * KDE-IMAGE
>> * KDE-Internet
>> * KDE-Multimedia
>> * KDE-Office
>> * KDE-System
>> * KDE-Utilities
>
> What about kdesdk (Kbabel,etc)? Will it be part of KDE-Devel?

Yes, that's what I would propose. The packages are not added all yet.

>> > Laptop
>> > +--- (not sure how to divide this)
>>
>> I don't know either.
> I don't think there is need for a special laptop pattern. Powersave stuff
> should work with any PC.
>
> All the rest depends on specific laptops, so it shouldn't be installed on each
> laptop. E.g if you have an Acer laptop, why would you need sony laptop
> settings in Kcontrol? Or if you have a Dell, your probably not interested in
> IBM Thinkpad settings. These moduls are only workarounds for non working
> hard/software.
>
> Of course it would be great, if such packages could be installed automatically
> for the specific laptop only.

Yes, this is the goal - but we're not there yet.

>> > Server
>> >
>> > +--- Fileserver
>> >
>> > +--- Internetserver (DNS, web etc.)
>> > +--- Database
>> > +--- Directory
>> > +--- Firewall, network server
>> > +--- etcetera
>>
>> I have now:
>> * Directory (LDAP)
>> * Fileserver
> Samba, NFS?

Samba, ftp so far.

>> * Mailserver
>> * LAMP
>> * XEN
>> * Internet Gateway
>>
>> > [other roles?]
> Database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)

Yes, eventually. My list is not complete, I just started with some
stuff.

>> Development - not sure how to structure this.
>>
>> > This is only a proposal - I really just wrote it up in five minutes.
>> > Maybe it's entirely in appropriate.
>> >
>> > Maybe the selection is 1-2-3 step: Primary qualifier, secondary
>> > qualifier, plus add-ons (things you might want to do regardless of
>> > which type of system): "Experienced User", "Kernel development", ....
>>
>> I don't like Experienced user - this should be split into several
>> patterns...
>>
>> > Primary and secondary qualifier could fit into one page/window in a
>> > tree-style display as the above, and going to the 2nd window for
>> > add-ons could be made optional, such that new-bies or non-techies would
>> > have a fast-path, whereas techies and/or experienced users would still
>> > have the option of a detailed selection etc.
> Actually I would recommend to take over the old selections for the new
> patterns in expert mode. For newbies/non techies we should make new patterns,
> e.g

No, this is far too much work and needs also other changes in the UI
that I prefer not to do.

> First choice:
>
> [] KDE system
> [] Gnome system
> [] System with minimal desktop
> [] System without graphical desktop
> [] Expert
>

> Second choice (if choosen one of the above):
>
> [x] KDE system (base, help included)
> [] Edutainment
> [] Games
> [] Graphics
> [] Internet-Tools
> [] Multimedia
> [] Office
> [] System & Utilities
> [] Development
> [] Artwork
> [] Wallpapers
> [] Fonts
> [] Screensavers
> [] Icons

I did not add Artwork, that's in the base for me.

> [ ] Gnome system (base, help included)
> [] Edutainment
> [] Games
> [] Graphics
> [] Internet-Tools
> [] Multimedia
> [] Office
> [] System & Utilities
> [] Development
> [] Artwork
>

> [] System with minimal desktop
> [] Windowmaker
> [] Graphics
> [] Internet-Tools
> [] Multimedia
> [] Artwork
> [] Icewm
> [] Fvwm2
> [] Xfce4

If anybody sends me patterns for these I'll consider to add them - I
started with KDE for now.

The following should go elsewhere IMHO:

> [] File and printserver
> [] Directory server (LDAP)
> [] Mailserver
> [] LAMP
> [] XEN
> [] Internet Gateway
>
> [] System without graphical desktop
> [] File and printserver
> [] Directory server (LDAP)
> [] Mailserver
> [] LAMP
> [] XEN
> [] Internet Gateway
>
> There should always be an "Expert" button, which gives back the possibility to
> choose one of the selections we had until 10.1, so old users wont be
> frustrated. Here there is also place for things like LaTeX.

LaTeX needs a place, I'm not sure yet where.

> And: please keep the very good patterns for kde-development and
> gnome-development including almost everything one needs to compile a KDE/GTK
> app!

Yes, those should come.

Have a look at factory by the end of the week (or at Alpha4) and then
let's refine them together...

Andreas
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany