[opensuse-factory] Network Install WAS: Re: Factory miniiso dies during startup
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:23:45 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 11:28 schrieb Richard Meek:
> > No problem, if you have a local server runing and willing to
> > download the isos.
> >
> > If both premises can be fullfilled, ask back..
> >
> > Pete
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> I didn't see any response from the OP (I may have missed it though :(
> ), but I'm keen to try again for a network install. I have a number
> of machines available to act as server, mainly running recent SuSE /
> openSuSE Linux. The main machine offers NFS and Samba shares already.
>
> I've tried several times in the past to use network install - I think
> the most recent was for 10.0 - and every time it's gone pear shaped.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice or pointers?

Well, I do it most of the time when it comes to installing SuSE.
OTOH, I really prefer diskless setups, where
- installation happens once on the server
- add the client to the pool
- been done
But that's different story...

Back on topic:

While this text is pretty old, it's nevertheless helpful as an overview:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_Installation_of_SuSE_Linux_via_PXE_Boot

Here's, what I do at a quick glance:
* loop mount all isos, and copy the files:
cp -a /mnt/* /srv/suse/10.2/cd{1..5}
alternatively download and use the inst-source tree directly (you may
need to adjust some paths accordingly)

* mkdir /tftpboot (or symlink)

* cp /usr/lib/grub/pxegrub /tftpboot
I use grub to netboot my systems, but there are some alternatives
Most important: your NIC is supported by grub (e.g. I've patches for
newer, but possibly not newest e1000)

* cp /srv/suse/10.2/cd1/boot/loader/{linux,initrd,message,memtest} \
/tftpboot

* install atftp and activate tftp server:
either in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp or insserv atftpd; rcatftpd start

* export /srv/suse/10.2 in /etc/exports:
/srv/suse/10.2 *.local.domain(ro,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

* start nfs server (or exportfs -r)

* edit /etc/dhcpd.conf accordingly (1.2.3.4: server):

--8<--
option space grub;
option grub-cfg code 150 = text;

group {
option broadcast-address 1.2.3.255;
option routers 1.2.3.1;

host test {
fixed-address test.local.domain;
hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55;
filename "pxegrub";
option grub-cfg "(nd)/test.conf";
}
}
-->8--

dhcp server must be restarted after each modification

* create /tftpboot/test.conf accordingly:

--8<--
default 0
gfxmenu (nd)/message
timeout 8

title harddisk
root (hd0)
chainloader +1

title suse10.2
kernel (nd)/linux vga=791 ramdisk_size=65536 console=ttyS0,19200 \
console=tty0 usedhcp=1 install=nfs://1.2.3.4/srv/suse/10.2/cd1
initrd (nd)/initrd

title memtest86
kernel (nd)/memtest
-->8--

This setup allows you to watch your client boot via serial console,
which could be very handy, if you're experiencing mysterious
installation behavior.

* boot client
* activate pxe in bios
* watch servers syslog