Re: [opensuse-factory] skipping partition module
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:09:41 -0500
jdd wrote:
> houghi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:31:38AM +0200, jdd wrote:
>>
>>> So I'm pretty sure there is interest for low profile distro.
>>

>> Why not use one of them for that specific purpose? DSL is very good. I
>> myself have Debian running on a 486 portable with 48MB of ram. Works
>> great.
>>
>> There are many more distributions out there for low end machies. SUSE is
>> just not one of them.
> Yast is a big plus, IMHO and works perfectly in text mode. Don't speak
> of debian in this respect... (I know DSL :()
> jdd

Just my 2c.

My basic reason is that I feel comfortable with SUSE. It is asking for
very little work after installation, comparing to others.

I have tried a lot distributions by now, Linux and BSD based, and most
of them are good, but they all have some specific solutions. I would
like not to spend time in learning how to configure computer in million
ways, but rather how to use it.

Most of users actually want even more, only to use a computer, that is
what makes SUSE distribution popular. It is an OS and applications at
once, with fairly well configured defaults for the most popular of them.

I was looking on memory usage when one more KDE desktop is active
(switch user), and it is not that big difference. It is the installation
stage that makes trouble.

--
Regards,
Rajko.