Re: [opensuse-factory] one package test
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:19:09 +0200
* jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> [Jun 12. 2006 08:32]:
> The page
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Factory
>
> asserts that its possible to use factory to test only one
> package.
>
> For me this seems extremely dangerous to do so on a stable
> main intallation, because I fear a dependecy chain could
> install from factory a lot of very new packages, breaking
> the stability of the hole machine. I'm right?

Yes, this might happen.

OTOH, package dependencies ensure consistency of the whole
dependency chain. Updates to a specific set of packages (e.g.
KDE, kernel+drivers, etc.) is quite safe usually (given that
the packages itself aren't too buggy.)
A lot of SUSE developers run their systems on Factory.

> In that respect, adding Factory as install source in a
> stable installation is _very_ risky

If you enjoy 'living on the edge' and you're prepared to
fix your system, Factory is right for you. ;-)

Factory is for experienced Linux developers.

Klaus