Re: [opensuse-factory] tagmedia question
  • From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 13:21:04 +0200
On 9 May 2006 at 20:22, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> It's probably difficult to fix because the kernel block I/O layer
> doesn't know anything about isofs (and mustn't - could be reiserfs on
> the CD), and the whole CD technology doesn't supply the information of
> what the last recorded block is, or something like that.

So if I "dd if=/dev/cdrom", will the kernel stop accessing the device when the
first read error appears? I thought every block device has a readable block limit
(determined by drive firmware).

Some older SCSI driver contained:
/*
* The SCSI specification allows for the value
* returned by READ CAPACITY to be up to 75 2K
* sectors past the last readable block.
* Therefore, if we hit a medium error within the
* last 75 2K sectors, we decrease the saved size
* value.
*/

Regards,
Ulrich