Re: [opensuse-factory] sudo and makeSUSEdvd [Was: makeSUSEdvd error]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 02:01:22 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2006-05-09 at 01:44 +0200, houghi wrote:

> > > On the other hand, you
> > > are the first, and so far only, person who complained about this.
> >
> > I'm not complaining, I'm just mentioning a problem.
>
> I do not see complaining to be something bad.

Sorry, we have diferent cultures ;-)

> > It maybe because most people do not even know that SuSE configured sudo be
> > default in a nonsecure way and didn't even look at it. The default is an
> > "easy" default.
>
> I don't know if all people who run the script only run SUSE. I have heard
> from people running it on Debian and on Mandrake as well.

Ah! Good point. Then, that default must be from the people making sudo
itself, or distros copy one another ;-)

> > > Due to the fact that you might need to enter you rootpassword twice, I
> > > might be willing to let it be run as root.
> >
> > The other possibility would be to think what config line(s) could be set
> > up in the sudoers file so that the script could run as "user". It might be
> > possible. I haven't looked it up because first I would have to study the
> > script and find out what exact commands does it need, and because it was
> > faster for me to simply "su" and run it as root.
>
> That would only complcate things. I am not going to write a script that
> changes sudoers in any way. You would need to run that as root, making the
> fact that you later can run it as user ineffective.

No, you can not change the sudoers file. The user has to request his
admin, using the standard triplicate forms, to please add those changes to
the sudoers file when he has time and a nice mood ;-)

No, seriously, my cuestion is simple: what are the exact comands that need
to be run as root? I know that "mount" is one, but more specifically,
mount what? (pattern?). (Maybe not so simple).

> I would like to run things as user on a standard system. There could have
> been a way out with the mounting. However now there is something else
> added, so perhaps it is now better to run it as root.
>
> That would need some rewriting, because the iso and other files must be
> owned by a user, I think.

Well, I did run the script as root, so it works. Of course, the files end
owned by root, and that is a complication - well, I'm the root, so then
it's not a big problem :-)

You could do it the other way. Be root, and "su" to some user when not
needed (or drop privileges).

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson