Re: [opensuse-factory] VMWare and XEN
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <LMStone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 16:23:52 -0400
On Wednesday, May 3, 2006 19:30, Andrew Lofthouse wrote:
> > Just curious why would you want to run both Xen and VMware on the same
> > physical machine?
>
> I've thought about doing this exact thing (although I haven't tried yet):
> run Windows XP with VMware (because you can't with Xen), but run Fedora
> Core 5 (for example) with Xen to get the extra performance boost (or so
> I've heard). This wouldn't be a production server or anything, just on a
> personal machine...

Not sure it's worth it. We have been testing Xen but have been running VMware
Workstation a lot, and it's pretty fast if you keep all of the vm's memory in
RAM. You need a lot of RAM to run several VMs this way of course.

FWIW, I have an IBM laptop maxed out on RAM that runs SuSE 10, and I can fire
up three active Windows vms before the disk gets to thrashing. Not sure Xen
would do any better to avoid disk thrashing...

YMMV.

Mark

A Message From... L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business"

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com

This email was sent from Reliable Networks of Maine LLC.
It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please
delete it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.

< Previous Next >