Re: [opensuse-factory] Learning Perl (Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] tagmedia question)
On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 08:58 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 5 May 2006 at 4:20, houghi wrote:
>
> > I would love to have the tagmedia included into makeSUSEdvd, but I have NO
> > idea how to do that. I can't read perl. :-(
> >

> Actually it's a lot like C, and I use it where I used C before. I basically
> learned (the essentials of) Perl in one week-end using some O'Reilly book.
>
> I prefer Perl ove shell scripts a lot, because it has much more power, not to talk
> of the debugger. Documentation ("man perlfunc" just for example) is quite good.

I like writing small scripts in perl as well, but perl really is
a write-only language - they keep adding syntax and operators
to provide 1,647 different ways to do the same thing so whatever
perl code you are trying to read was almost certainly written by
someone who knows and loves a completely different subset of the
language :-).