Re: [opensuse-factory] KsCD Test
  • From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 13:25:21 +0200
On 4 May 2006 at 11:49, Flávio Moringa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Stephan Kulow escreveu:
> > Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2006 12:14 schrieb Günther J. Niederwimmer:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> do any run (test) KsCD, on my computer's I can't hear some music :(. I mean
> >> this is not the best situation, KsCD is the default player in KDE ?
> >>

> > If you insert an audio CD under KDE, you have the choice between kscd and
> > kaffeine. kscd only works if you have a connection between your CD drive and
> > your motherboard/soundcard. Which is the reason we'll drop kscd in the future.
> >

> That's not true. If you go to the configuration Options of KSCD you can
> turn on using direct digital output associated with a CD-Rom/DVD drive,
> which doesn't need the audio cable connected to the Sound Card or
> Motherboard from the drive.

Unless I'm wrong, the latest generation of drives has a two-pin digital output
which again requires a cable. The advantage would be: You get full digital quality
without making the CPU busy (assuming you have a receiver for SPDIF).
So I wouldn't call it "direct digital output". The CPU will request digital audio
data from the drive and process those before sending them to the audio device.

Regards,
Ulrich

< Previous Next >