Online Update during install hangs PC
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 16:56:05 +0200
Just a warning, currently it seems that trying to do an online update during
the install causes the system to hang - on my machine it tried to download
the Kernel package, but after 2 hours it was still at 0%.

There doesn't seem to be a timeout on this process and all user action buttons
other than help are greyed out. The only solution was to reset the machine
and start the install from scratch - the update happens before any passwords
have been given, so, although the machine boots to a login prompt (it doesn't
start the installation process where it left off), not even the root account
is accessible because it hasn't been given a password and an empty password
doesn't work...

I've reported this as bug 171588.

I am not sure if this was a server issue, a synchronisation issue or a duff
package issue, but currently if the process hangs, there is no way of
proceeding with the install.

--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing