new DVD idea
I think some mail I sent with this slipped through the cracks the other day, so I'm
trying again. Here's my brand new idea for how to get DVD images with none
of the ever increasing problems with signatures on files:

SUSE doesn't want to distribute both DVD and CD iso images due to the impact
on mirrors and network traffic, but what about this plan:

Create the DVD with the same packages as the 5 CDs, organize the media
as it is supposed to be organized, sign all the files correctly, etc.

Then, remove all the actual .rpm files from the tree, and make an iso of just
the DVD infrastructure that is left over. This will be a relatively small file that
could easily be distributed with the CDs.

Now, folks who want a DVD need only download the infrastructure iso, and
the CD images, copying the .rpm files off the CDs back into the DVD tree, then
they can make a new iso with the properly signed files from the DVD infrastructure
image and the .rpm files recovered from the CD images.

This should be a much simpler script to write than the current makeSUSEdvd
and will actually have officially correct signatures on all the files to make all
the installers happy.

So how bout it? Can we get it in time for 10.2 testing? :-).