Re: [opensuse-factory] Fontconfig and Helvetica
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:57:14 -0500
On 06/03/17 04:52 Stephan Kulow apparently typed:

Am Freitag, 17. März 2006 02:08 schrieb Felix Miata:

I've looked also at several other distros, and only 9.3 seems to be
correctly behaving according to what fonts.conf seems to be prescribing.

I'm not sure I follow you. What is the bug exactly? fc-match -v "helvetica"
gives Nimbus Sans L as described on both 10.0 and 10.1

I now have an edited version of that page for the purpose of the following screenshots at:

Konqueror ignores that Nimbus Sans L alias in both 9.3
and 10.0
IOW, in Konq in both 9.3 & 10.0 you always get Helvetica when Helvetica is requested (if Helvetica is installed).

Firefox 1.0.7 & in 9.3 obey the alias regardless of the firefox pref setting for sans-serif:
but in 10.0 both ignore it if the firefox pref for sans-serif is set to anything other than "sans-serif"
IOW, in FF, in 10.0, you get Nimbus Sans L when Helvetica is requested only if the FF pref is set to "sans-serif".

The bug (assuming the browsers aren't working as intended) is that Nimbus Sans L is ever not displayed by the browsers when Helvetica is requested. Whether the bug(s) is/are in the browsers or fontconfig or something else I wouldn't have any idea.

There's a separate bug with the alias>sans-serif>prefer list. In that 10.0 (and 9.3) list, Vera Sans is first, and Verdana second. When the browser sans-serif pref is set to "sans-serif", both browsers use Verdana (if installed) instead of the #1 entry Vera Sans.

BTW, if it hasn't been already, Vera Sans should be replaced by DejaVu Sans for 10.1.
"Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according
to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:11 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata ***

< Previous Next >