Re: [opensuse-factory] suse xp home sp2?
  • From: "Joseph M. Gaffney" <CuCullin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:31:27 -0500
On Monday 13 March 2006 05:39, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 01:45:30PM -0500, Joseph M. Gaffney wrote:
> > So nothing yet from Novell or the developers?
> >
> > I believe alot of people here have expressed serious concerns with the
> > use of a .Net based application as a core component, and I have yet to
> > see any official response on this.
> >
> > A thread is ongoing on suseforums.net containing further concerns, and
> > I've contacted Vir@s to post on suselinuxsupport.de as well.
> >
> > I'm a bit put off by this for another reason; for such a significant
> > change, I would have thought the openSUSE community would have been asked
> > for input on the matter, which I did not see.
>
> See my email address? Am I Novell enough for you?

Sure, and you'd be the first to reply to this, which is why I asked.

> ZMD was written with Linux in mind using C#, there is nothing in it
> requiring Microsoft specific extensions. Also it is running on a free
> reimplementation.

Understandable - my concern for MS-relation would be the implementation. I
understand mono is based off the submitted standard - but did MS implement
the same type of license-only use as they have just recently tried with the
MS Office XML format? (thats the reason that format has been brought up in
prior emails, relevance to using their "standard" and the licensing). I
don't know, thats why I ask.

> I can understand your concerns regarding bloatetness (if any) and new
> default running daemon, but I do not understand your concerns regarding a
> simple name string like ".exe".

My concern is regarding bloat, not .exe - that was simply a signal to me to
examine further. I don't know if you saw my other emails, but (and I'm sorry
Pascal, but this is true - no matter how much you try and convince me, though
we certainly won't get to a flamewar :) ) any managed solution is certain to
be more cpu and memory intensive. That *is* the tradeoff for supposedly more
"portable" code.

Considering YaST's current level of cpu and ram usage, I'm curious to know
what the expected usage will be for Zen. Also, to me, development using mono
is kind of like developing with wine; not really native, an intention to go
cross-platform at the expense of cpu/mem and full integration with the
desktop.

Now, I understand also Zen *is* being implemented cross platform (based on the
prior Novell Open Audio podcast). I would assume it was implemented in mono
to accomplish this more easily. For a corporate desktop, this would be fine,
as its an introduction to alternative management solutions that probably work
better. In terms of the users of SUSE Linux, it isn't really a good idea, as
Linux is already implemented, and this becomes an area where it can
functionally slow down. For new users of SUSE, this will seem like a problem
area, imho.

> Ciao, Marcus

Joseph M. Gaffney
aka CuCullin

PS: Yes, I do hate having anything MS-like on my system. Its taken some time
to be as free of their products and their methods of control, so I'd like to
stay as far away as possible in the future as well.

P.P.S. - Pascal, today is a bit busy.... though I'll be happy to reply to your
comments later. And btw, do you realize you replied to yourself (almost
nastily sometimes) in some parts of your reply? :)

< Previous Next >