Re: [opensuse-factory] GNOME in 10.1
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:04:51 +0100
Am Dienstag, 28. Februar 2006 14:54 schrieb Martin Schlander:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2006 13:55, houghi wrote:
> > At a certain moment there is a version freeze.
>
> Perhaps this date should reevalutated for 10.1.
>
> I don't suspect that the current delays due to the packagemanager issues
> were anticipated at that point. Not only Gnome 2.14 but also KDE 3.5.2 will
> likely be released before 10.1 the way things are looking.
>
> In my opinion it would be worth it, delaying final release a week or two in
> order to include these. Of course I have very little knowledge of the work
> that goes into this and organizational problems it might cause. Probably
> Gnome 2.14 is more of a problem than KDE 3.5.2 since this is only a
> bugfix-release.

The problem is, with something as big as Gnome, it would probably at least a
months delay to get everything in and tested - don't forget every Gnome
applet has to be installed and thoroughly tested across as many hardware
combinations as possible before it can be signed off as working. Plus Gnome
itself, ensuring it works with at least gdm and kdm, ensuring KDE still works
with gdm, ensuring all the KDE apps still work under Gnome, ensuring the new
Gnome apps work under KDE and so forth.

> SuSE 10.1 could end up appearing "dated" compared to for example Ubuntu
> 6.04 and FC5.

The other problem is, by the time the testing on Gnome 2.14 would be complete,
somebody else would probably come up with another "must have" upgrade... That
is why you have the cut-off date - which is usually pre-beta BTW.

Dave
--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing

< Previous Next >