Re: [opensuse-edu] Suse in the class room
  • From: CyberOrg <cyberorg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:05:58 +0530
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Jpd <jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The instructions above would be wrong if they do not work even after
following all the procedure correctly.

Idea of "prebuilt image" is that no rebuilding is required. Doing
anything else requires bit more advanced knowledge.

Which is why I was asking for some docs on it

Docs linked here: http://en.opensuse.org/LTSP#Additional_information.2C_Tips

Running local application is not supported yet, so firefox installed
in ltsp image is not going to work.

Well that just killed my plans for using kiwi-ltsp

Any idea if/when it will? Otherwise it's of to ubuntu

Running local application is not supported in Ubuntu either, as the
support does not exist yet upstream, developers are working on it
during this week's hackfest.

To add kernel module the instructions are here:
http://en.opensuse.org/LTSP and in
/usr/share/doc/packages/kiwi/kiwi.pdf from kiwi-doc package.

Any idea if the yast gui for making kiwi images is going to include ltsp?

You can open ltsp config.xml in yast kiwi module.

Adding kernel module in initrd is slightly more tricky, the package
has to be added to the respective boot image description.

However users are not supposed to add anything to the boot images, in
case someone requires a special module we have to get it incorporated
in KIWI upstream.

So a nice one size it's all then, does that mean that the prebuilt image rpm
is going to get huge?

You have not stated what exact problem you are having yet, the errors
you are receiving, logs from the output when running kiwi-ltsp-setup
commands.

Also I am not clear what you are intending to do, are you trying to
add kernel module to boot image?

It would really be a lot easier if I had some more information to help you.

I have created a quick start guide with troubleshooting information
here: http://en.opensuse.org/LTSP_Quickstart

Cheers

-J