[opensuse-edu] Releasing 1.0 for 10.3 or not?
  • From: Lars Vogdt <lrupp@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:23:42 +0200
Hi all

Good things come to those who wait: I think we've waited long enough to
release the first openSUSE-Education release for openSUSE 10.3. The
11.0 release should follow in a shorter timeframe.

There are still some bugs left[1], but I think they can be fixed after
the release.

We've currently 3.7GB (!) of software on the Education DVD (2,4GB for
each arch) - a huge progress comparing to 10.2 with ~1,2GB for each
arch.

A big part is taken by the LTSP5 stuff, which is now completely
available for openSUSE using KIWI[2]. Thanks to CyberOrg for all his
hard work in this area!

I also like to give a big "Thank YOU" to all the other fighters:
- Andrea (anubisg1) for packaging and translation into italian
- Andreas (a_ochs) for packaging and translation into german
- Kirill (kkirill) for his hard testing and packaging (and improving the
russian language support on openSUSE ;-)
- ...and all the other "guest" entries in our bugzilla, IRC comments,
Emails, packaging help, ...

...and now I hope nobody has objections against releasing 10.3 now -
bevore 11.0 comes out ... - or has any?

FYI: I've already done a 11.0 testbuild which looks very good. Currently
there are just 15 packages in our Testrepo in the Buildservice which
needs to be fixed (and the leftover bugzilla entries). So I hope our
hard work in the past is paying off now as we can use all the current
stuff to release the 11.0 Edu-Part in a few weeks and work on the other
things on our roadmap afterwards.

We already have an entry in the community repository list which is
available in YaST, so people installing 11.0 and adding the openSUSE
Education repository get our software.

And last but not least: visit http://education.opensuse.org/ and have a
look at our new logo!

With kind regards,