[opensuse-edu] Status update April 2008
  • From: Lars Vogdt <lrupp@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:40:37 +0200
Hi all

Parallel to the openSUSE-Education 1.0 for openSUSE 10.3 release, we are
currently working on other projects. Here is the overview:

The URL* has been applied for us. will be reachable at the above URL in a
few days.

* will get a "Face lift" in a few
weeks. The new Design will look more like the official openSUSE-Layout.
Help is needed! Any webdesigner (we need somebody knowing YaML) around?

* As far as the RC2 is concerned, there are only a few Bugs left to take
care of. Hopefully they will get fixed soon. Everybody who has some
wishes left, please fill them in our bugzilla at

At the moment the automatic package selection during first installation
is deactivated. This is the result of a newer package "bc" on the
Education media. A bug in the 10.3 installer doesn't find the right
solution and so no pattern (and no package) is preselected. The online
repository is already fixed - in the final media all packets will be
selected automatically, too. (see bug #0000029)

* The patterns will see some rework prior to release but they already
demonstrate functionality in their current form.

* Lars has talks with Wolf-Dieter Zimmermann about his “Seminarix”
to provide Seminarix on openSUSE.

* There are new packets in the Buildservice Repository:
+ Score Reading Trainer
+ ksociograma
+ gbrainy
As a result of a short talk in IRC (thanks to kkirill!), packagers
adding new packages to the obs repository should also start a new wiki
page. We've created a template here:

* The work on the Wiki is moving ahead as well. We have updated It now contains
all currently available applications. Additionally we want to use
"Categories" to assign applications to a group automatically. Feel free
to make suggestions!
Currently you can find all applications with their descriptions in the
Category: Education Applications
We can provide more than one Category for each application. So an
application can be in "Category:Education Applications" and also in
"Category:Music" and/or "Category:Artistic scope"...