Re: [opensuse-edu] which programming languages preferred?
  • From: James Tremblay <jamesat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:15:35 -0500
On Sunday 31 December 2006 15:19, garry saddington wrote:
> > I have a set of goals for these.
> > 1) get them to install with a Q&A routine from an RPM. this will help
> > make them more accessable to to people that don't know any command line.
>
> Why not make an easy to install Windows version just for testing by
> 'normal' teachers. Then for production recommend SuSE - not difficult to
> justify (security, stability etc.).

I can't think of a good reason to waste time with a windows anything. except
maybe shades ;)

> > 2) get them to share an LDAP directory ,
>
> Not for the amount of data that needs to be held. Use an agreed upon
> central db like Postgres.

not looking to move the stored data anywhere until stage three , just looking
to make a sharable demographics interface, if Centre was the main interface
then Moodle and OpenBiblio could be configured to use Centre as their
authentication and user repository , Yes? This would also allow each product
to remain independent until stage three, Yes?

> > This is necessary to reduce data
> > redundancy and inaccuracy, it would also bypass the need for a SIF
> > (student information frameworks) agent which is soon to be a requirement
> > in the states,
>
> Doesn't surprise me.
>
> > ( I think there is a similar requirement growing in the UK, possibly
> > in the EU as well all though I don't follow there EDU regs.)
>
> SIF is pointless stupidity geared at allowing commercial interests to
> continue to fatten themselves on education's meagre resources (and it
> costs for SIF as well!), apart from many other more technical
> pointlessnesses.
> If this was real business (and not education) I suspect that SIF would
> be a complete non-starter and even a laughing stock.

No argument here

> > 3) blend them together into one interface. To create a Hybrid that would
> > include the setup from the "Open School Server" , this last goal would
> > set the stage for a commercial version that both Novell and the good
> > folks at Extis.de could support.
>
> It may be better to hang on for a while to see if any of the in
> development MIS software ever gets to the point that it can compete with
> the likes of SIMS by Capita (in England of course).

waiting isn't helping. Many schools are right now looking for a replacement
for things like WInschool which isn't NCLB compliant and has already been
decommissioned by Pearson. At least with a program like Centre we can make it
meet the needs and maybe some regulations too. I have seen more than one
thread on this idea.
google search SIS+Moodle and you will see them, even a company selling the
service of using Moodles API to sync data.