Re: [opensuse-edu] which programming languages preferred?
  • From: James Tremblay <jamesat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 08:57:03 -0500
On Saturday 30 December 2006 23:29, Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 06:00, James Tremblay wrote:
> > what I eventually would like to see is,
> > a product that has all the features in these three programs;
> > 1) centre- written in PHP on a postgres DB
> > 2) moodle- written in PHP on a mysql db with an available postgres port
> > 3) openbiblio- written in php on mysql db
> >
> > this "hybrid" would be the core "source database" for an education
> > assessment process.
> > Since I know neither PHP or Postgres nor even MySQL, I'm looking to get
> > a programmers point of view of the idea and work that needs to be done.
>
> Okay, I'm a bit confused. (Not that there's anything new...)
>
> Are you planning on re-writing these apps for inclusion in the distro?
Kai,
I have a set of goals for these.
1) get them to install with a Q&A routine from an RPM. this will help make
them more accessable to to people that don't know any command line.
2) get them to share an LDAP directory , This is necessary to reduce data
redundancy and inaccuracy, it would also bypass the need for a SIF (student
information frameworks) agent which is soon to be a requirement in the
states,( I think there is a similar requirement growing in the UK, possibly
in the EU as well all though I don't follow there EDU regs.)
3) blend them together into one interface. To create a Hybrid that would
include the setup from the "Open School Server" , this last goal would set
the stage for a commercial version that both Novell and the good folks at
Extis.de could support.

James