Re: [opensuse-edu] which programming languages preferred?
  • From: James Tremblay <jamesat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:00:42 -0500

> > So it would makes sense to pursue A high bread of to two or three
> > existing popular projects with a common language? Especially if the
> > language itself is popular...
>
> If you know neither and are trying to base your decision on the language the
> software is written in, I think you are going about it the wrong way. Both
> are "easy secure and commonly known by programmers". It all depends on what
> you want to do. If you know neither, make the decision based on the features
> of the software you want to implement not the programming language.
>
> I use both. My original Linux Tutorial (link below) was written in Perl. When
> I switched to PHPNuke as my portal, I converted all of my modules into PHP,
> which also meant having to learn PHP from scratch. Perl and PHP are close
> enough that I had no problems learning or converting. All of my web site
> programming is now done with PHP. On the systems that I administer, I
> typically write scripts in Perl. I choose the right tool for the job.
>
> I see no real need for a hybrid of the multiple languages unless you
> *absolutely* need the functionality one offers that the others do not.
> Usually, there is a way to implement anything using just one language or you
> can implement very small blocks in a different language if you *have to*.
>
> The only time I would recommend Java is when you *absolutely* need any extra
> functionality, *absolutely* need the extra speed or you *absolutely* need to
> run it on multiple operating system.
>
> Regards,
>
> jimmo

> "Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your
> character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others
> think you are." -- John Wooden
> ---------------------------------------
> Be sure to visit the Linux Tutorial: http://www.linux-tutorial.info

what I eventually would like to see is,
a product that has all the features in these three programs;
1) centre- written in PHP on a postgres DB
2) moodle- written in PHP on a mysql db with an available postgres port
3) openbiblio- written in php on mysql db

this "hybrid" would be the core "source database" for an education
assessment process.
Since I know neither PHP or Postgres nor even MySQL, I'm looking to get
a programmers point of view of the idea and work that needs to be done.