Re: [opensuse-edu] which programming languages preferred?
  • From: PerfectReign <theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:18:45 -0800 (PST)

--- James Tremblay <jamesat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a question.
> While researching the different Open Source School
> administration
> software, I have found two major camps 1) php 2)
> perl without starting a
> flame war, which is easier to secure and more
> commonly known by
> programmers?
> james

Probably both. I only know PHP, but them I'm a
manager, so my job description no longer involves
programming.

IMO, you might find more people knowing perl, as it
has a longer history than PHP.

Now, according to the TPCI rankings (
http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm ), however, PHP is right
ahead of perl in terms of popularity.

According to one leading job search engine - which I
find a decent indicator of needs - there are 4748 perl
jobs available and only 1229 PHP jobs.

Of course, there are also 14,673 Java jobs available.
:P