Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Firewall advice needed.
  • From: Rob Keeling <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:29:53 +0000 (UTC)

If you could provide a detail of your network with (if you want) fake
IPs, and a small ASCII diagram, that would help. :)

-- Thomas Adam

Certainly,

The structure goes something like this. External if is connected to our school network, on a 10.4. address.
All of our mail has to pass through mail.embc.org.uk, and web traffic via proxy.embc.org.uk.

On the external interface we will have a switch, conecting to multiple laptops (which we can`t change the settings on).
I had thought of using NAT and a different ip range for the laptops assigned by dhcp.

Our internal mail server (mail) could easily forward the mail traffic on, and we already have a local squid cache that I could copy the config of to create a transparant proxy, however the squid faq says you can`t transparent proxy https.

Does that help discribing the problem?

Rob Keeling