Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] NFS
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:58:11 +0000 (UTC)

--- Miles Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> broad strategic vision here:
> * Use NFS on the server to export my /home and /export directory
> trees
> (the former being my proper Linux home directories with all the
> desktop
> config stuff, imap boxes whatever, the latter being the samba shares
> they access from existing windows clients)

Yes, that's right.

> * Use NFS on all the clients to mount these two exported filesystems,
>
> may as well be mounted at /home and /export for the sake of
> simplicity,
> yes?

Correct -- depending on how you have your local HD partitioned, if you
have /home on a separate one, ensure you comment it out in favour of
NFS.

> * Use NIS on servers and clients to do the passwords and groups stuff

Correct.

> * Use really clever file and directory permissions to make sure that
> they don't read anyone else's stuff - this hasn't been an issue
> before
> since samba made sure that the only network shares they could see
> were
> their own.

Then that's OK. But the art of permissions should be something you do,
as a general matter of course, anyway.

> Faff around in KDE to make some pretty desktop icons to the folders I
> want them to have access to.

Heh. That might be the best bit... but yes, that too is just fine. :)

-- Thomas Adam

List Navigation