Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Network migration starting with squid.. help
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:45:29 +0000 (UTC)

--- Alan Loughlin <loughlina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My main question is what Linux distro shall I go for and what caching
> and
> filtering solution will do what isa and surfcontrol do?

I'd go with censornet, myself ...

> I've looked at censornet, but was not impressed because of i.e.
> always
> asking for authentication.

Oh? You'd have to be more specific as to which parts are constantly
requiring authentication. I'm sure it can be fixed.

> Also, if I decide to move to Linux, how can you customise and lock
> down the
> desktop environment. We have decent pc's here, so a way to do this
> without
> ltsp would be handy.

"Lock down"? What do you mean by that? Hmm, let's see. There's no such
thing as "the" desktop environemnt -- there's a whole plethora [1] of
them. As to which one you get as standard (if at all) depends on which
distribution you pick. Either way, you can bet your bottom penny that
it'll be one of either KDE [2] or GNOME [3].

Customising either of those requires that you're able to use a mouse,
essentially. As to making such changes non-persistent, you would have
to ensure that for any dot-files and dot-directories within the $USER's
$HOME are set to read-only. You'd also have to change the ownership of
the file to something different as well.

Since we don't know which distro nor which desktop manager you'll be
using, specific information will be scetchy at best. Note that whilst
it is entirely possible to get a desktop environment to read from a
system-wide location (/etc/X11/*, for instance, as most DEs tend to) --
that wouldn't negate a user being able to then customise things in
their $HOME directory -- so supplying a default set of files, and
locking them out would still have to take place. For KDE this tends to
be ~/.kde{,2} (as a directory) and for GNOME: ~/.gnome

-- Thomas Adam

[1] http://www.xwinman.org
[2] http://www.kde.org
[3] http://www.gnome.org