Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Extended support
  • From: Paul Taylor <ptaylor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:55:17 +0000 (UTC)
On Tuesday 05 April 2005 04:31, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Paul Taylor <ptaylor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all:
>
> Good, err, Morning -
>
> > I have started the process of getting ready for September and yet
> > another
> > specification to prerare for. I teach predominantly KS5 which is nice
> > but it
> > does mean quite a lot of work each summer. I have been using Moodle to
>
> And here was me always under the assumption that you teachers disappear
> abroad each summer. Heck, if not, what were all those "teachers training
> days" about? :)
>
> > but I am thinking about specifics such as macros on OO and top tips for
> > database design etc. There are also specific units that I could not
>
> Ah, databases. I still have nightmares about 'normalisation' -- although
> at KS5, that's not even a glint in the *teacher's* eye let alone the poor
> sods that have to swallow the information about what databases are. :)
>
> What sorts of things were you thinking about? And at what level?
I have been doing a lot with pre-made PHP/MySQL web site databases so I would
like to go down that route as it would hit 2 or 3 units of work at one go. I
am interested for lower school in trying out the new OO2 database as well.
> Certainly macros in OO I can help with, as can I with any database stuff.
>
> > even
> > consider doing well such as programming units. I did a C & G night
> > class in
> > C++ and had a go at teaching myself java but it was all rather poor. I
>
> You mean the Java was poor?
Sadly not, I quite enjoyed it and C++ but after a day of teaching, a 3 hour
programming class in the evening was the 300kg bale that broke the teacher's
back.
> :) Well, I can relate to that, having been
> forced to use it for the last four years. Don't worry the counselling
> sessions are going great...
>
> > suspect TA has forgotten more than I will ever know so perhaps he could
> > toss
> > me a few morsels of material?
>
> Heh, (un)fortunately my memory is such that I tend to remember all the
> crap that people forget. Can you perhaps list the specifics in more
> detail of just what it is you're after, and I'll do my best to give you my
> recommendations.

I can certainly show you the specifications. I don't know yet that I will
teach any programming in my own lessons but I would like to have a ready made
unit using FLOSS that other people could try. I can put together the
requirements and some rudimentary work sheets but would be stuck for ideas as
to what to programme (deliberately writing UK form here, sorry purists). I
enjoy trying programming tutorials but have no imagination or desire to
actually make something so it is hard to relay this to students.
> It might take me a few hours to reply, I'm slightly busy on the Uni front,
> but I'll get back to you nevertheless.

No hurry. I suspect this will be a long-haul project.

Thanks in advance for your possible input.
> Kindly,
>
> -- Thomas Adam
>
> "The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
> "TAG Editor" -- http://linuxgazette.net
>
> "<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish
> you for all of them at once when you get better. The
> experience will probably kill you. :)"
>
> -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

De omnibus dubitandum