Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Extended support
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 02:30:55 +0000 (UTC)
--- Paul Taylor <ptaylor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been doing a lot with pre-made PHP/MySQL web site databases so I
> would
> like to go down that route as it would hit 2 or 3 units of work at one
> go. I

That's very doable -- and something the lecturers are looking to do at
University. I was at a commitee meeting before Easter, about ratifying
the course subjects we (as in the year I am in) have undertaken thus far.
Since at the moment, I concurrently do a unit on "Developing for the
Internet" (php/mysql) and "Database Applications and Design" (Oracle) -
the lecturers were thinking of having a concurrent and unified theme
between the two units.

So in the same way, what you could do, is introduce concepts in one unit
that then trails through to the other -- not necessarily in terms of
assignments, or work to undertake, but introducing key concepts by way of
an evolving case-study is one such idea.

You're no doubt aware of it already, but on the php/mysql front, there's
"phpmyadmin" as a web-bsaed frontend to allow access to a database.

> am interested for lower school in trying out the new OO2 database as
> well.

It does look very promising, indeed.

> Sadly not, I quite enjoyed it and C++ but after a day of teaching, a 3
> hour
> programming class in the evening was the 300kg bale that broke the
> teacher's back.

Yes -- programming as a subject can be very... intense, and to do it in
the evening is suicide. Full credit to you for sticking it out for as
long as you did. I find it hard enough doing it day in day out. But then
I *love* it, so that helps. :)

I'm not privvy to the mandatory units (or parts of units) that have to be
undertaken by pupils of KS5 level. Does there have to be some sort of
programming aspect to a course such as this? Canonically, the use of VB
has always been flaunted, but VB sucks (I've ranted about the
applicability of this to Education and future employment before on this
list). If you can make it web-oriented, use php/mysql and off you go.
You've then killed two birds with one stone, almost.

> I can certainly show you the specifications. I don't know yet that I
> will
> teach any programming in my own lessons but I would like to have a ready
> made
> unit using FLOSS that other people could try. I can put together the

As I said, I can certainly help, but I am no teacher...

> enjoy trying programming tutorials but have no imagination or desire to
> actually make something so it is hard to relay this to students.

It's debatable as to whether programming is an art-form or not. The angle
my studies approach it from is one of design, so most of my efforts are
concentrated drawing boxes, arrows and lines, with the occasional stickman
for good measure. The actual "coding" is a by-product then of the design.
So as far as imagination goes, I must have a pretty good one to actually
design a piece of software in the first place [1]. I have often quipped
with the amount of diagrams I draw, I'll host my dissertation in the Tate
Modern...

-- Thomas Adam

[1] That's my excuse, anyway... :)

"TAG Editor" -- http://linuxgazette.net