Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] mounting drives
  • From: Tony Whitmore <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:09:21 +0000 (UTC)
Paul Taylor wrote:
Hi All:

I currently have my work mounted on a separate drive in my system as /home. That drive is a 10G drive. I thought it was prudent to put it on it's own drive so that when I invariably messed up my main system with tinkering, I would not lose my work. I now have a 40G drive for this task. How do I go about swapping them out. I assume I can copy the data onto my main drive (in /tmp or somesuch), then switch off the machine,

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! :)

/tmp gets wiped every boot. It's a bad plan to copy stuff there.

I'd recommend the following article on our LUG's wiki:

http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/OneDiskToAnother

Tony