Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Working in Teacherland - opportunities please? (long)
  • From: "Paul Graydon" <graydpau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:35:17 +0000 (UTC)
On 15 Mar 2005 at 15:35, linuxgirlie wrote:

> I use Karoshi (www.karoshi.org.uk), So I would only have to install
> basic Mandrake and then Karoshi on top. My record is 25 minutes. So
> thats 25*6 = 150minutes.
> Then I can either bring back all the users from backup....or worse
> case I would have to bulk user create. As this is from a Comma
> Seperated File, I would load it up in our bulk user creator and it
> would take about 5 minutes (guessimate) per year. All the permissions,
> groups etc etc are already setup by Karoshi so no worries there. Print
> quenes come back from backup, unless backup is gone, and then
> obviously this would have to be done by hand so will take longer.
> Work comes back from backup, but not sure of the timing of this. So
> basically the servers/users/system will be there in a day but work not
> (as I am not sure on the timing of this- a couple of day maybe?!) We
> have about 1000-1200 users on the network this is staff and students.
>
> Basically Karoshi sets up the whole system with everything in place,
> all I have to do is bring back the users and thier work :)
>
> Our print server went down the other day, it took me 30 minutes to get
> it up running and working again, including bringing back all print
> quenes etc. and it first print out.
>
> Jo

I'll confess to being impressed to some extent. I think about the quickest we can install Novell
itself is about 40~50 minutes, before patches etc.
On my home box I seem to remember Mandrake taking a lot longer to install, even from DVD, but then
it was installing with quite a few of the software options, which you wouldn't really need on a
network server. I'm assuming for a Karoshi setup you'd be installing just about the bare basics?
I must confess to being curious why Mandrake was chosen as the backend, and not Red Hat, given that
Mandrake is basically a series of enhancements and changes to the Red Hat distro. Logic would
suggest some of those are critical changes that are needed for Karoshi?

Bulk user creation is a fairly safe practice in Novell from CSV, though we have experienced
peculiarities in the past. As to rights, ours are very strict. I'm not sure how strict yours are,
but we pretty much run on a basis of deny, and only permit grudgingly, thus we're granting rights
down to sub-sub-sub (etc) folder level. We had a few issues last week as a consequence of a major
change we needed to make to the structure. Result (due to a 'known', but impossible to find unless
you're suffering from it, Novell bug) was that everyone had access everywhere, hardly satisfactory!
As a consequence all rights, except critical ones, were removed, and all were recreated from
scratch, which took just over saturday morning to setup and double check to ensure no one had
rights they shouldn't have, were part of the right user groups, each groups assigned the right
workstation and ensure that workstations were assigned to the policies.
With a new server installation, with a new tree, all workstations across campus (400) would need to
be unregistered with the network, then re-registered, before they could be imported into the tree
and have workstation profiles assigned to them. Once this has been done, Novell client then allows
you to have dynamic user creation on the local workstation, something that is all but essential
with Windows 2000 and Windows XP workstations, along with being able to remotely lock down
workstations (ensures that its almost impossible for a student to mess them up). I don't know how
easy it would be to perform such an operation using Linux workstations. Our past experiements with
LDAP and a Novell servers haven't been successful (using Novell 5.1, with its flakey LDAP.) After
upgrading Novell over the summer, LDAP will be working fine, and Linux'll be spreading a little bit
in our network.
-----
Paul Graydon
Network Technician
Haywards Heath College
http://www.hhc.ac.uk (01444) 456281
"Joy is not in things; it is in us." Richard Wagner

< Previous Next >