Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] BETT
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:50:39 +0000 (UTC)
--- linuxgirlie <linuxgirlie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> yes, you need to change the XF86 - Config file.
>
> /dev/mouse changed to /dev/mice

Can you verify that? "/dev/mice" certainly does not exist for me. Nor is
it defined anywhere in /sbin/MAKEDEV (the default policy-file for creating
device nodes).

Of course, this raises the possibility of it being a symlink:

ls -l /dev/mice

Would certainly help. I suspect its probably a symlink to
"/dev/input/mice"[1]. Traditionally, under all versions of Linux,
"/dev/mouse" has always been a symlink to the actual mouse.

The other thing therefore to note is whether or not the actual kernel
modules are installed, and indeed, loaded. Since the OP hasn't told us
what mouse he's using (always useful) -- I'll guess he's meaning a PS/"
mouse (no one could be sad enough, bar me, to still be using a serial
mouse). In which case, the kernel modules "mousedev" and "psmouse" should
be loaded:

# modprove mousedev && modprobe psmouse

This also assumes therefore that your configured mouse entry in
/etc/X11/XF86Config points to the device "/dev/psaux" [1].

If it's a USB mouse -- go talk to hotplug, but the path to the mouse in
/etc/X1/XF86Config should be "/dev/input/mice" for your configured mouse.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] Under 2.4 kernels, /dev/input/mice was only reserved for USB.
"/dev/psaux" is used for PS/2. But under 2.6.X kernels, "/dev/input/mice"
is now a multiplexer for USB and PS/2, so you can use it for both. But for
convenience sake, "/dev/psaux" can always be used as a fallback method for
PS/2 mice in 2.6, regardless. Compatability is nice like that.

=====
"TAG Editor" -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"