Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Posters for classroom walls
  • From: Ian Lynch <ian.lynch@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:37:25 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 19:48, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 10:19, Phil Driscoll wrote:
> > This message was recently posted to my local LUG mailing list:
> > > After seeing the walls of my sister's ICT lab in her school in Harrogate I
> > > feel compelled to try and gather some good OSS/Linux posters to in some way
> > > dilute all the microsoft posters. I'm especially interested in getting a
> > > good Linux poster to go next to the microsoft anti-piracy one. Not one of
> > > the microsoft posters give a positive message about computers. They're all
> > > "Keep Patched", "Use Antivirus", "Don't Pirate". Ugh, it makes me cringe.
> > > Any of you fine folk know of a good source of such things?
> >
> > Anyone know of any good posters, or should we design some!
>
> Hello Phil,
>
> Designing some seems like a good idea for a school project,
> covering whatever curriculum areas you wish it to (after all,
> posters involve language, communication, graphic design,
> could also be part of business studies, etc).
>
> Suggestions? How about starting with a cross-platform one
> for Mozilla/ Firefox (Mozilla head, slogan about an end
> to annoying pop-ups/viruses etc, and something about
> tabbed browsing), or OpenOffice.org - OOo has a separate
> logo for education use.
>
> OpenBSD has some good logos, and a security record that
> can easily be put into a poster slogan.
>
> Slogans beginning ``Choose...'' seem popular because of
> some film, so ``Choose Free Software, choose the freedom
> to do it your way, choose GNU/Linux'' or something
>
> Also feel free to try and make an AFFS poster from our
> graphic which we used (in slightly different form) in
> some print ads:
> http://www.affs.org.uk/AFFS-adv-v.jpg
>
> hth,
>
> - Richard

Maybe we should run a competition for schools to design a poster. We can
commercially print the best ones. There is some art work already on the
OpenOffice.org website

http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=76&expandFolder=76&folderID=0

and there is of course Tux and OTTO the Linux and OOo schools mascots.

--
Ian Lynch <ian.lynch@xxxxxxxx>
ZMS Ltd

< Previous Next >