Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] setting up suse 9.1 client
  • From: Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:24:48 +0000 (UTC)
--- Simon Marsden <simon.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi
> I am interested in setting up Suse 9.1 client in my
> school. Although we use
> Linux servers and I use Suse on my laptop. I could
> do with some help or
> suggestions as to how I can set it up so that any of
> our users can log on as
> they would on a Windows client.

Sounds like (like myself) you're from the windows
networking world. NIS is your friend.

You could just have the SuSE client use NIS to
authenticate. The server that handles Windows logons
must have *already* have unix accounts for each user.
So these unix accounts (standard linux users) can be
distributed to any linux clients. Setup the server to
be an NIS server, and your new SuSE client to be an
NIS client. There's a handy howto at the linux
documentation project on this bit.

> The server is running Samba 3.? something.

I'm envious of your position. I've got the opposite
problem. I've inherited an NT4 PDC network and I want
to put linux (debian) clients into our library. I've
done it, but I've had to setup a *new* (second) user
account for each user. So I'm "m johnson" on the nt4
network, and "mjohnson" in the library :(

I'm trying to get the debian workstations to
authenticate from the NT server (using winbind and
security = domain, and PAM). It's possible, but not
easy. Some muppet allowed whitespaces into the NT4
usernames, which are just one of the problems I have
to get over. Winbind is very clever (and I've got the
debian machines allowing access to to windows clients
to themselves via winbind, but the holy grail is
getting them to allow local logins to usernames such
as "john smith" with no password! Not proving easy.

> I know Samba reasonably well but I guess smbclient
> would not be the best route
> to go down.

Someone will mention that NIS isn't secure... It isn't
secure.

NIS isn't secure.

--
Matt